Hope for the Holidays:
“A SILENT NIGHT…”
Come and be still in God’s presence for quiet time, reflection & prayer.
On Thursday, December 20th the Worship Center will be open from 4:00- 9:00pm for a chapel-like experience. Come as you are and stay as long as you like. All are welcome!
Join us on Facebook and our web page for scripture, tips & events to help you through.
*Trained Professionals can help connect you to resources. Contact: HOPE4MH@goodshepherd-naperville.org.
“May the God of Hope fill you with all Joy and Peace as you trust in Him“ Romans 15:13
The holidays don’t magically banish feelings of sadness and loneliness; sometimes the holidays even seem to magnify those feelings. If that is where you find yourself this season, remember that God’s mercies are new every day. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23)
We pray that you find peace and comfort during the holiday season. Here are more tips and Scriptures for helping you cope:
- Look for things to appreciate; focus your thoughts on positive things.
- Don’t compare this season with previous ones; create some new traditions.
- Keep your holiday expectations manageable. Be kind to yourself.
- The holidays do not stop feelings of sadness or loneliness; give yourself permission to work through these feelings.
- Do something nice for someone else.
- Stay close to family and friends who know what you’re going through.
- Remember that the idealized Normal Rockwell image of the holidays is not reality.
- Get out of the house and make some new memories.
Helpful Scriptures for a difficult season:
- “In this world, you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
- “Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:14
- “This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24
- “Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” Jeremiah 29:11-12
- “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
- “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34
- “We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” Romans 5:3-4
- “Consider it pure joy… whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-5
- “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
- “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
In partnership with Student Ministries, the HOPE team will be presenting several parent forums pertaining to mental health. All forums are 6:45-8:00pm.
- Sunday, 2/24/19, “Stress Management” presented by Tom Klisiewicz, Founder and President of Smart Health Wellness and Performance.
- Sunday, 4/14/19, “Handling Family Conflict Well” presented by Dr. Laura Bokar, CEO and President of Fox Valley Institute.