Good Shepherd’s outreach during the COVID-19 pandemic focuses on the hungry, the homeless, the elderly, and our current mission partners. To help, please contact our Missions Ministry by using the Email Leader button below.
Inner City Serving – First Lutheran Church of the Trinity was founded in 1865 as the first Lutheran church on Chicago’s near south side. Good Shepherd has partnered with Trinity in the past to update their Community Center and God’s Closet clothing pantry. These ministries provide crucial services to the Bridgeport community. Learn more through this VIDEO
More help is needed! Help support this important ministry:
• Organize and fold clothing
• Indoor painting and light carpentry work
• Ten drivers needed on Wednesday 8/26 to transport donated items
• Sign up or learn more details HERE
For the safety of volunteers, all donations have been quarantined for over 30 days, face masks and gloves will be provided. Social distancing will be enforced during serving.
Partnering with Rebuilding Together Aurora to serve low-income families, seniors, and veterans through the restoration of homes and neighborhoods. Two serving opportunities on Aurora’s east side include:
• Saturday, August 29th from 8 am until Noon
• Sunday, August 30th from Noon until 4 pm
• All outdoor work using small socially distanced teams
• Landscaping, exterior painting, and minor exterior repairs
• No experience is needed to volunteer for any of these positions
• All equipment and materials will be supplied
Join us in revitalizing communities and rebuilding lives. Email Leader with questions. Sign up HERE
Loaves and Fishes Community Services. This local food pantry and ministry partner is serving over 1,000 families per week with grocery assistance during the Pandemic. Current needs include volunteers and food donations:
• Great need for individuals who can lift 20-pound boxes
• If you are a new volunteer, complete an online volunteer profile HERE
• Physical Food donations once again being accepted, see needed items HERE
• Virtual Food Drive continues for those wishing to donate from their homes HERE
Feed My Starving Children. FMSC’s Aurora location has reopened for July 2020 packing with enhanced safety procedures due to COVID-19:
• The new packing setup has been changed to accommodate group sizes of one to five people.
• Children must be age 10 or older to participate.
• Masks are required (bring your own)
• A reservation is required; no walk-ins will be accepted.
• Watch a video on what to expect when packing HERE
Sign up to serve HERE
DuPage Care Center. Good Shepherd has a long relationship with DuPage Care Center, where we have been serving the Senior Community since 2000. During the Pandemic, our team has found new and creative ways to support this community, including streaming online worship services, providing music in the courtyard, hosting virtual coffee hours, organizing puzzle drives, and care bag donations. Email our leader below to get connected in any of these ways:
• Music Performances: Do you sing or play an instrument? Help us to delight Seniors by providing music in the courtyards outside resident rooms. Youth are welcomed and encouraged! Date: Monday-Friday 9 am- 3:00 pm (depending on the area).
• Shopping: Since residents can’t go out and shop, we are looking for volunteers who would want to shop for them.
Participating in Virtual Coffee Hour: We have a Good Shepherd team that is hosting a virtual coffee hour to connect and communicate with Residents.
Additionally, DuPage Care Center has put together an Amazon wishlist to help support its residents and their quality of life during COVID-19 restrictions. Learn ways to help support HERE.
Hesed House. This homeless shelter in Aurora is the second largest in the state of Illinois and a long time mission partner of Good Shepherd. During this time of crisis, helping the vulnerable is among our highest priorities.
Here is the most current list of NEEDS. Hesed House is accepting donations from the community through no-contact drop off at 659 South River St, Aurora, IL 60506
Thrivent Action Teams. If you are a Thrivent Member, you are eligible for a $250 gift card to support community involved service projects. Please consider partnering with Good Shepherd to put this money into action with our current community outreach efforts! Together we can make an impact! We will walk you through the easy process step by step.