OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD
Share God’s love with children in need around the world! The amazing Journey of a Shoebox Gift begins with you!
PICK UP SHOEBOXES
• Shoeboxes will be available in the Narthex for registered In-Person worshippers Sunday, October 18th & 25th.
• Shoeboxes will also be available for pickup anytime October 18-31st in the marked OCC bins outside Door 1 while supplies last.
• Ideas for what to pack in your box HERE
DROP OFF SHOEBOXES
• We will be offering three drop off dates for completed shoeboxes as follows: October 25th, November 1st and November 8th.
• Our team will be outside of Door 1 from 9am – Noon on these dates to receive your completed shoebox. November 8th is the last drop off available.
Don’t miss this wonderful opportunity to share the Good News of the Gospel with children in war-torn countries, refugee camps, and areas in need around the world.
Each child receives the Gospel Story in their own language!
TEAM WORLD VISION – RUNNING FOR CLEAN WATER
Good Shepherd ran with Team World Vision to help provide life-changing clean water to children and communities in the developing world. Nearly 1,000 children under the age of 5 die every day from illnesses caused by contaminated water. Clean water is life! Join us in making a difference to support clean water initiatives around the world!
Even though the Chicago Marathon was canceled, our team was committed to finding an alternative place to run for this worthy cause! TOGETHER we can go farther!
DuPage Care Center. Good Shepherd has a long relationship with DuPage Care Center, where we have been serving the Senior Community since 2000. During the Pandemic, our team has found new and creative ways to support this community, including streaming online worship services, providing music in the courtyard, hosting virtual coffee hours, organizing puzzle drives, and care bag donations. Email our leader below to get connected in any of these ways:
• Music Performances: Do you sing or play an instrument? Help us to delight Seniors by providing music in the courtyards outside resident rooms. Youth are welcomed and encouraged! Date: Monday-Friday 9 am- 3:00 pm (depending on the area).
• Shopping: Since residents can’t go out and shop, we are looking for volunteers who would want to shop for them.
Participating in Virtual Coffee Hour: We have a Good Shepherd team that is hosting a virtual coffee hour to connect and communicate with Residents.
Additionally, DuPage Care Center has put together an Amazon wishlist to help support its residents and their quality of life during COVID-19 restrictions. Learn ways to help support HERE.
Loaves and Fishes Community Services. This local food pantry and ministry partner is serving over 1,000 families per week with grocery assistance during the Pandemic. Current needs include volunteers and food donations:
• Great need for individuals who can lift 20-pound boxes
• If you are a new volunteer, complete an online volunteer profile HERE
• Physical Food donations once again being accepted, see needed items HERE
• Virtual Food Drive continues for those wishing to donate from their homes HERE
Feed My Starving Children. FMSC’s Aurora location has reopened for July 2020 packing with enhanced safety procedures due to COVID-19:
• The new packing setup has been changed to accommodate group sizes of one to five people.
• Children must be age 10 or older to participate.
• Masks are required (bring your own)
• A reservation is required; no walk-ins will be accepted.
• Watch a video on what to expect when packing HERE
Sign up to serve HERE
Hesed House. This homeless shelter in Aurora is the second largest in the state of Illinois and a long time mission partner of Good Shepherd. During this time of crisis, helping the vulnerable is among our highest priorities.
Good Shepherd will be providing a meal to the guests at Hesed House on November 11th and 12th. Sign up will be available at the end of October.
Thrivent Action Teams. If you are a Thrivent Member, you are eligible for a $250 gift card to support community involved service projects. Please consider partnering with Good Shepherd to put this money into action with our current community outreach efforts! Together we can make an impact! We will walk you through the easy process step by step.