Good Shepherd has many opportunities for children to grow in faith and connect with other children. Sunday School (SPARKS) is the primary program for children, but there are many fun opportunities throughout the year for your child, including an Easter Egg Hunt, Vacation Bible School, Fall Festival, and a night to celebrate Advent.
We have several serving opportunities available for group leaders (lessons and materials are provided), special event planning and service teams (tech, check-in, welcome, etc.). If you are interested in partnering with us to serve children as they come to know and love God, please click here to learn more about our opportunities.
- 5:05 Saturday services
- 9:29/9:30 & 11:00/11:01 Sunday services
Wednesday nights, September - April 6:30-8:00pmClub 45 provides a fellowship and outreach opportunity for 4th/5th graders. It allows them to join together and bring friends to learn about Jesus, have fun playing messy games, eating creative snacks and joining in fellowship with one another. This is a great bridging opportunity for 5th graders transitioning into 6th grade ministry (FUEL). All 4th and 5th graders are welcome! Church membership is not required to participate. Register on the main children's ministry page. Already Registered: Forms (downloadable pdfs) Additional Information (downloadable pdfs)
- Grace Notes (Kindergarten -2nd grade)
- Rehearses Tuesday evenings from 5:30-6:15pm
- All God’s Children (3rd-6th grade)
- Rehearses Sunday mornings from 8:30-9:15am
Retreat: Saturday, January 20, 2018, 8:30am-1pm
Service: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 2pmFirst Communion is a monumental time in every child's life. Each January, all parents and their kids, ages 4th grade and older, are invited to join us on a 4 1/2 hour retreat, which focuses on the importance of the eternal gift Christ has blessed us with.
- Has an understanding of sin and knows the difference between right and wrong.
- Recognizes that we are all sinners and that Jesus paid the penalty for our sin.
- Desires to have an ongoing relationship with Jesus.
- 1st Communicants will come with their parents, or other significant adult, to learn more about who God is and what Communion is.
- The cost is $35 per child for the day. This includes lunch and materials.
- Scholarships are available if needed.
- Childcare is available for siblings for a $15 fee per child.
- Invite family to a special 1st Communion Service
- Optional cake reception following
- If you cannot attend, your child can receive communion on the next Sunday your family comes to church. Please understand that 1st Communicants will only be recognized at the 1st Communion Service.
- One-on-one buddies
- Coordination with staff and small group leaders
- Accommodations (visual schedules, fidgets, etc.)
What is VBS?Vacation Bible School is a hands-on, Spirit-led week, which focuses on a different theme each year. Our theme is explored through prayer, singing worship, crafts, games, small group discussions, and so much more!
When is VBS?Vacation Bible School takes place one week every June from 9am-noon.
Who can attend?• Birth-24 months (children of FULL-TIME LEADERS ONLY) - nursery • Age 3 by 9.1.of given year (children of FULL-TIME LEADERS ONLY) - Early Childhood VBS • Age 4 by 9.1.of given year thru Kindergarten - Early Childhood VBS • Children entering 1st-5th Grade - Elementary VBS Accommodations are available for children with special needs. Contact special needs ministry for more information.
Who can be a leader for VBS week?This is not only a transforming experience for the children attending, but also for the 200+ leaders! Adult and student leaders welcome!
- A background check for adults 18 and older is required. If you do not already have a current background check on file, this will be emailed to you by our HR team.
- It is mandatory for all leaders, even if you have served before, to go through the leader training.
- 6th-7th grade student leaders must serve with a parent.
- There is 5 year age gap between leaders 8th grade and up. (i.e., if you are in 8th grade, you will enjoy working with children 3rd grade or younger.)
- 8th-12th graders will be partnered with an adult leader. 11th-12th graders are able to lead a small group with another 11th-12th grader. An interview with a staff member is required for both students.
- For Special Needs (FUSION) buddies, 6th-8th graders MUST serve with a parent. 9th-12th graders will be paired one-on-one with a FUSION student at the director’s discretion.
- November 30: ADVENTure Night Family Worship
- February 14: Ash Wednesday Family Worship
- June 16: Summertime Family Worship (following VBS)
- A balance of self-directed learning and teacher planned experiences.
- Curriculum that includes many opportunities to participate in a wide variety of interests.
- Parent-teacher communication through monthly and weekly newsletters, e-mails, and parent teacher conferences.
- A team of director, teachers and teacher assistants who exceed the qualifications of DCFS.
- Field trips, Mom’s day, Dad’s day, parent informational programs and many other fun activities throughout the year.
February 16-18, 2018Attention all 4th/5th graders, we will be going on a retreat to Covenant Harbor, Lake Geneva, WI. Grow deeper in your relationship with God, peers, and leaders! Spots are limited so sign up quickly! This Camp makes a great gift for your child, grandchild or God child. To download a printable PDF gift certificate, click here. Cost is $210 per child and includes all accommodations, meals, materials, leader fees and transportation. The amount is paid directly to Covenant Harbor at the end of the registration process. We will...
- Take a coach bus
- Have a pizza dinner upon arrival
- Play fun games (you have options between: carpet ball, broom ball, zip line, tubing, sledding, ice skating, indoor rock climbing and more!)
- Hear thought provoking messages
- Worship God through music
- Get to know others from Good Shepherd in your age group