Our vision across Family Life Ministries is for all families to pursue authentic faith and live life on mission with Jesus.
We recognize that God gave parents the incredible gift of children to love and lead. On average, parents are with their children about 3,000 hours a year. As a church we spend around 40 hours a year. Therefore, our priority within Children’s Ministries is to come alongside and support parents/guardians – the people who God designed to have the most influence on their child’s life and chose to become their primary spiritual leader(s).
Our desire is to help parents feel supported, equipped, and empowered to lead their children through various ministry opportunities and resources offered throughout the year. We only have 936 weeks from the time our children are born until they graduate from high school. Let’s be intentional about how we spend that time. We are here for you, and we are cheering you on!
WHEN SHOULD MY CHILD BEGIN RECEIVING COMMUNION?The decision of when your child will receive communion is one that every parent should prayerfully consider. The study of scripture, guidance by the Holy Spirit, and consideration of family beliefs are some of the things that help direct this decision. Regardless of when you choose for your child to begin receiving communion, Good Shepherd partners with families by offering Communion instruction beginning in 4th grade.
INSTRUCTION & CELEBRATION INFORMATIONCommunicants will come with their parent(s), or other significant adult, to learn more about who God is and who we are as His children. Prior to the selected instruction time, our team will provide you and your family with resources and conversations to begin at home. There is a cost for your instruction materials ($30/per Communicant). Scholarships are available as needed. If you have any questions, please contact us at children@goodshepherd-
Information on the next Communion Retreat will be listed here when available.
Midweek Preteen Ministry for 4th and 5th Graders
Tuesday evenings in September - April, 6:30-8pmClub 45 provides a fellowship and outreach opportunity for 4th/5th graders. At Club 45, your preteen will learn about Jesus through games, a large group message, and connect group time with their peers and their Club 45 leader. This is a great bridging opportunity for 5th graders transitioning into our middle school ministry (FUEL). All 4th and 5th graders are welcome! Church membership is not required to participate.
- One-on-one buddies
- Coordination with staff and small group leaders
- Accommodations (visual schedules, fidgets, etc.)
- Self-contained sensory room
We are open!Registration for the 2021-2022 school year is HERE. Classes available for children 2-1/2 to 5 year old by September 1, 2021. For more information, please contact us at 630-961-9055, preschool@goodshepherd-
Good Shepherd Lutheran Preschool is a Christian-based preschool with experienced, caring teachers in a friendly, safe atmosphere. Our curriculum based on the Illinois Early Learning Standards and includes Spanish and Musik Garten enrichment classes, monthly Sanctuary visits with the pastors for spiritual growth, and Handwriting without Tears®. Good Shepherd Lutheran Preschool Offers:
- A balance of self-directed learning and teacher planned experiences.
- Curriculum that includes many opportunities to participate in a wide variety of interests.
- Parent-teacher communication through monthly and weekly newsletters, e-mails, and parent teacher conferences.
- A team of director, teachers and teacher assistants who exceed the qualifications of DCFS.
- Field trips, Mom’s day, Dad’s day, parent informational programs and many other fun activities throughout the year.
- Sparklers is our nursery that is available for infants through 36 months of age during the Sunday morning services. Sparklers consists of an infant/crawler room and a toddler/walker room.
- Visit us at Children's Check-in on a Sunday morning to learn more about our nursery and to check-in your child!