Good Shepherd has many opportunities for children to grow in faith and connect with other children. Sunday School (SPARKS) is the primary program for children, but there are many fun opportunities throughout the year for your child, including an Easter Egg Hunt, Vacation Bible School, Fall Festival, and a night to celebrate Advent.
We have several serving opportunities available for group leaders (lessons and materials are provided), special event planning and service teams (tech, check-in, welcome, etc.). If you are interested in partnering with us to serve children as they come to know and love God, please click here to learn more about our opportunities.
WHEN SHOULD MY CHILD BEGIN RECEIVING COMMUNION?The decision of when your child will receive communion is one that every parent should prayerfully consider. The study of scripture, guidance by the Holy Spirit, and consideration of family beliefs, are some of the things that help direct this decision. Regardless of when you choose for your child to begin receiving communion, Good Shepherd partners with families by offering Communion instruction beginning in 4th grade. Full-day attendance at the retreat is necessary to participate in the First Communion worship service.
- First Communicants will come with their parents, or other significant adult, to learn more about who God is and who we are as His children.
- Full-day attendance at the retreat is necessary to participate in the First Communion worship service.
- The cost is $35 per child for the day. This includes lunch and materials.
- Scholarships are available if needed.
- Childcare is available for siblings for a $15 fee per child. Lunch is included.
- Invite family to a special First Communion Service.
- Optional cake reception follows.
- If you cannot attend, your child can receive communion on the next weekend your family comes to church. Please understand that First Communicants will only be recognized at the First Communion Service.
SAVE THE DATES!Saturday, October 20, 2018 | Retreat Saturday, October 27, 2018 | Service Register here. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME THE RETREAT AND SERVICE WILL BE OFFERED IN THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR.
Wednesday nights, September - April 6:30-8:00pmClub 45 provides a fellowship and outreach opportunity for 4th/5th graders. It allows them to join together and bring friends to learn about Jesus, have fun playing messy games, eating creative snacks and joining in fellowship with one another. This is a great bridging opportunity for 5th graders transitioning into 6th grade ministry (FUEL). All 4th and 5th graders are welcome! Church membership is not required to participate. Register on the main children's ministry page. Already Registered: Forms (downloadable pdfs) Additional Information (downloadable pdfs)
- Grace Notes (Kindergarten -2nd grade)
- Rehearses Tuesday evenings from 5:30-6:15pm
- All God’s Children (3rd-6th grade)
- Rehearses Sunday mornings from 8:30-9:15am
- 9:29/9:30 & 11:00/11:01 Sunday services
Check back for details and registration for the next My Bible experience.
- One-on-one buddies
- Coordination with staff and small group leaders
- Accommodations (visual schedules, fidgets, etc.)
What is VBS?Vacation Bible School is a hands-on, Spirit-led week, which focuses on a different theme each year. Our theme is explored through prayer, singing worship, crafts, games, small group discussions, and so much more!
When is VBS?Vacation Bible School takes place one week every June from 9am - noon.
Who can attend?• Birth - 36 months (children of FULL-TIME LEADERS ONLY) - nursery • Age 3 by 9.1.of given year (children of FULL-TIME LEADERS ONLY) - Early Childhood VBS • Age 4 by 9.1.of given year thru Kindergarten - Early Childhood VBS • Children entering 1st - 5th Grade - Elementary VBS Accommodations are available for children with special needs. Contact special needs ministry for more information.
Who can be a leader for VBS week?This is not only a transforming experience for the children attending, but also for the 200+ leaders! Adult and student leaders welcome!
- A background check for adults 18 and older is required. If you do not already have a current background check on file, this will be emailed to you by our HR team.
- It is mandatory for all leaders, even if you have served before, to go through the leader training.
- 6th - 7th grade student leaders must serve with a parent.
- There is 5 year age gap between leaders 8th grade and up. (i.e., if you are in 8th grade, you will enjoy working with children 3rd grade or younger.)
- 8th - 12th graders will be partnered with an adult leader. 11th - 12th graders are able to lead a small group with another 11th - 12th grader. An interview with a staff member is required for both students.
- For Special Needs (FUSION) buddies, 6th - 8th graders MUST serve with a parent. 9th - 12th graders will be paired one-on-one with a FUSION student at the director’s discretion.
Purpose/Vision of Family Worship:Connect families in community to engage in activities that foster a heart posture toward God in everyday life.
- Ash Wednesday
- Summertime Family Worship
- Back-to-School Worship
- ADVENT Night
- A balance of self-directed learning and teacher planned experiences.
- Curriculum that includes many opportunities to participate in a wide variety of interests.
- Parent-teacher communication through monthly and weekly newsletters, e-mails, and parent teacher conferences.
- A team of director, teachers and teacher assistants who exceed the qualifications of DCFS.
- Field trips, Mom’s day, Dad’s day, parent informational programs and many other fun activities throughout the year.