Our vision across Family Life Ministries is for all families to pursue authentic faith and live life on mission with Jesus.
We recognize that God gave parents the incredible gift of children to love and lead. On average, parents are with their children about 3,000 hours a year. As a church we spend around 40 hours a year. Therefore, our priority within Children’s Ministries is to come alongside and support parents/guardians – the people who God designed to have the most influence on their child’s life and chose to become their primary spiritual leader(s).
Our desire is to help parents feel supported, equipped, and empowered to lead their children through various ministry opportunities and resources offered throughout the year. We only have 936 weeks from the time our children are born until they graduate from high school. Let’s be intentional about how we spend that time. We are here for you, and we are cheering you on!
WHEN SHOULD MY CHILD BEGIN RECEIVING COMMUNION?The decision of when your child will receive communion is one that every parent should prayerfully consider. The study of scripture, guidance by the Holy Spirit, and consideration of family beliefs are some of the things that help direct this decision. Regardless of when you choose for your child to begin receiving communion, Good Shepherd partners with families by offering Communion instruction beginning in 4th grade.
2021 RETREAT & CELEBRATION INFORMATIONThis year, we have two date options to choose from: Saturday, March 6 OR Saturday, March 13. Both retreats will be from 9am - 11:30am CST. Communicants will come with their parent(s), or other significant adult, to learn more about who God is and who we are as His children. Prior to the selected retreat day, our team will provide you and your family with resources and conversations to begin at home. There is a cost to the retreat day for materials ($30/per Communicant). Scholarships are available as needed. If you have any questions about this year's Communion Retreat, please contact us at children@goodshepherd-
Midweek Preteen Ministry for 4th and 5th Graders
Tuesday evenings, 7-8pm CSTClub 45 provides a fellowship and outreach opportunity for 4th/5th graders. We are currently offering both in-person and online options to choose from! At Club 45, your preteen will learn about Jesus through games, a large group message, and connect group time with their peers and their Club 45 leader. This is a great bridging opportunity for 5th graders transitioning into our middle school ministry (FUEL). All 4th and 5th graders are welcome! Church membership is not required to participate.
- One-on-one buddies
- Coordination with staff and small group leaders
- Accommodations (visual schedules, fidgets, etc.)
- Self-contained sensory room
We are open! 2020-2021 Preschool RegistrationRegistration for the 2020-2021 school year is now open HERE. Classes available for children 2½ to 5 years old by September 1, 2020. For more information, please contact us at 630-961-9055, preschool@goodshepherd-
Good Shepherd Lutheran Preschool is a Christian-based preschool with experienced, caring teachers in a friendly, safe atmosphere. Our curriculum based on the Illinois Early Learning Standards and includes Spanish and Musik Garten enrichment classes, monthly Sanctuary visits with the pastors for spiritual growth, and Handwriting without Tears®. Good Shepherd Lutheran Preschool Offers:
- A balance of self-directed learning and teacher planned experiences.
- Curriculum that includes many opportunities to participate in a wide variety of interests.
- Parent-teacher communication through monthly and weekly newsletters, e-mails, and parent teacher conferences.
- A team of director, teachers and teacher assistants who exceed the qualifications of DCFS.
- Field trips, Mom’s day, Dad’s day, parent informational programs and many other fun activities throughout the year.
- Sparklers is our nursery that is available for infants through 36 months of age during the Sunday morning services. Sparklers consists of an infant/crawler room and a toddler/walker room. *Due to COVID-restrictions, Sparklers is not currently staffed for our in-person services on Sunday mornings. As soon as we are able to begin operating the nursery again, we will make updates to all online platforms.
In-Person and Online
In-PersonIf you are joining us for an in-person church service at Good Shepherd, please register online here.
- When you arrive to church with your child, your child is able to pick-up a Children’s Church Bag that is uniquely designed with age-appropriate worship activities that reinforce God’s truth and help them engage in worship. These bags are designed for early childhood, lower elementary, and upper elementary age categories. Once you have picked up your Church Bag, check out these additional activities to add to your child's Church Bag throughout the upcoming weeks. In addition, each weekend we offer an updated coloring sheet and kids' sermon notes (printed page) to help your child engage and take part in the message!
- Sparklers is our nursery that is available for infants through 36 months of age during the Sunday morning services. Sparklers consists of an infant/crawler room and a toddler/walker room. *Due to COVID-restrictions, Sparklers is not currently staffed for our in-person services on Sunday mornings. As soon as we are able to begin operating again, we will make updates to all online platforms.
- Sparks is our Sunday morning children’s ministry for kids ages 3 through 3rd grade! Sparks will be offered for both in-person worship services starting on Sunday, February 7. Participants are split into age appropriate groupings where they come together to hear God’s Word, interact with God’s truths and join in discussion and prayer with their peers. Learn more about Sparks here.
- Interested in purchasing a Bible geared towards your child’s age? We have both Early Childhood and Elementary Bibles that are available to purchase from our Children’s Ministry team for $10/Bible. If you have questions about this, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fusion is our Special Needs Ministry at Good Shepherd! Our mission is to reach and serve families impacted by special needs and create an environment for them to discover and embrace a relationship with Jesus Christ. Learn more about Fusion here.